Friday Five : 8th January 2021

Friday 8 January 2021
Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

Happy New Year everyone!

I disappeared for the best part of half a year but thought I'd pop back on for old time's sake. Shall I just carry on like I've never been away? Well here goes for anyone who misses and likes a Friday Five ...

Friday Five : (1 of 5) New Sneaks


Other Stories Jumper (Old)
Levis 501 Skinny (Old)
(that's the colour description on the website)
 
I finally jumped on the Veja bandwagon. Well to be fair, I was on the Veja bandwagon a few years ago with my Veja Watu but as I didn't really get on with them, I resisted the more recent leather offerings which everyone is much more familiar with. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with which style and colours but I'll save that for another post so you can see what strange warped logical and illogical arguments I used to arrive at the pair you see above. But for now, that smokey grey blue suede and fluro orange is giving me all the good feels. And we're in serious need of all the good feels aren't we?

Friday Five : (2 of 5) Snoods

Cos Donegal Wool Jumper (old)
Levis (old)
Primark Snood (in store when they open again)

Can I fess up now? I don't actually like snoods. Or infinity scarves or whatever they are called. I never have - it's just one of those things. Please don't be offended if you love and live in them - it's a personal thing. But yes a snood has somehow made it on to my list of Friday Fives this week - tis strange times we're living in right now and anything and everything goes. Just before the latest lockdown I picked this grey one up from Primark and it's not been off my neck since. What has caused this great turnaround? Well, all my current scarves are just a little bit too long or cumbersome to wrap round and wear comfortably during the day when I'm pottering around the house - yes I am a proper nana now. If it's a long scarf, you wrap it round and round and you end up mummified. Also when it comes undone, it lands in the kitchen sink at an untimely moment and you have wet bits. But a snood - that doesn't come undone and it doesn't get trapped in dishwasher doors and it's really very practical. And now that I'm in my fifth decade, I'm really all about the practical things. And for the record, this does not make it okay to buy me a snood!  I'm not that much of a convert - one is enough for me unless you want to buy me this lovely Toteme cashmere one - then I think I can make room for one more. 

Friday Five (3 of 5) Picture Mounts

I get my rollers from the Pound Shop.
But I like a good Harris brush.

New year - got the spring cleaning itch? I've got a hallway which needs a fresh coat of paint and I probably need to put a few new prints up. I've got some old Ikea Ribba frames but the mounts have discoloured and yellowed over the years. It's not a problem though  as it's easy to refresh these in a slightly off white shade - I don't like too bright a white. I tend to use a little mini roller as this gets the nicest finish on something like this but a brush is just fine too. Make sure you cover the inner rim of the mount too - Last time I did this I spotted some bits I missed after I finished and had to touch up. 

Friday Five (4 of 5) Reading



The hubs was watching and listening to something on his iPad loudly. I think he's a bit deaf. Pardon. Anyway, it was a guy talking about how he set himself a goal of reading a book within a certain time frame and it was to help him with his studies. He would take the book and if he wanted to finish it within seven days, he would divide the book in to seven even sections and each day he would need to reach the next section to keep on target. Although it seemed a bit of a bind initially, the guy stuck to it and eventually it became more of a habit and he even started to look forward to sitting down to read and basically it opened up the world to him as he read not just course books but all manner of books about everything. The hubs decided to try it and took his Troy by Stephen Fry book on Saturday and finished it by Wednesday, ahead of schedule. So I took it upon myself to download a book to my kindle and read it within 2 nights and blatantly ignored the experiment. But if you want to commit to reading a little more - set yourself little goals of x number of chapters by a certain day and you might find yourself rising to your own challenge and reading all those books you've stockpiled next to your bed.

Friday Five (5 of 5) Seven Pounds

Seven Pounds. Or shall we say half a stone. To-mae-toe. To-mar-toe. Same difference. Any way, three years ago I was seven pounds heavier than what I was used to so I did something about it. I'm at that point again now because basically I went nuts on Yorkshire Puddings and Madagascan Vanilla custard (not together) over the festive period and some of it might be to do with last year's Lockdown snacking but my jeans are wagging their fingers again at me and telling me they don't like being so severely stretched. I like the jeans I have and I want to wear them comfortably again so I'm putting it here for the record - seven pounds to shed. It will probably still be seven pounds next week too because I am weak.

----------------------------

Last Note :

  • I bought my Vejas from Working Class Heroes who actually have a promotion on their Vejas currently - it's rare to find them discounted or most places usually remove them from promotions - I know as I've been looking for the last few months. 
  • My Primark snood is probably made of the finest acrylic known to man and likely to go poof near a naked flame but do you know what - it's damned warm and soft, not too cray cray and it does the perfect loop round the neck twice without strangling me so I'm okay with that. 
  • And how the devil are you all? Is anybody out there and still reading? Hello! Hello!

12 comments

  1. Yes still reading! Lovely to hear from you. You always come across very down to earth with a great sense of humour. So glad you haven't gone away forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Lovely to know that someone is still reading! And thank you - it was nice to pop on and chunner away! x

      Delete
  2. Hey Sue! Great to read /hear your voice again. I love the idea of setting a target to finish a book by... it’s the sort of random thing I used to do and it worked. Thanks for the reminder!
    The Toteme cashmere snood does look good (esp in that colour...) but... I’m not yet a snood convert. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither am I - one is enough and I only have this one for practical reasons - not aesthetics. For aesthetics - give me all the gorgeous big scarves! x

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Lyn - let's see if I can knock out a second blog this year! ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
  4. Glad your back, now don't leave it for another 6 months! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, nice to read you, to read you nice! Happy New Year of blogging (pretty please?).

    Genius trick the painting mounts thing, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ursula. I'll try my best with the blogging - I tried last year too and then disappeared but once a blogger, always a blogger so I will keep popping up! x

      Delete
  6. Yes am here and reading.... thanks for starting up your Friday Five again, Susie.
    And I hear you on the 7 pounds ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–
    SarAh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed myself a little too much lately - it's time to reign it in. And thanks for sticking with me Sarah. x

      Delete

Susie So So