Never Give Up - Never Surrender

Friday 7 December 2012
Well I've only been hunting since last January. And now we're in December. But I got there - like Alan Rickman in Space Quest and the infamous quote "Never give up, never surrender!"


Never Give Up - Never Surrender!!!!!

I've finally got a pair of wedge trainers! Actually, make that, I've got two pairs of wedge trainers! It's not that I've been slacking in getting in on this trend - it's just that I'd not found the right pair for me. Of course I wanted some long before now - what's not to love about casual footwear which promises you extra height without leg lengthening surgery? I am of course speaking as a fully certified titch. I think wedge trainers divide people - you tend to love them or hate them. They have that trompe l'oeil effect in that they are designed to trick the eye and elongate the leg. There's the argument that they look a little strange from the side but I've been subjected to so many images of them, I think they look normal now. 

These aren't the first pairs I bought. No, no, no. Let's go through my wedge trainer history so far.

First there were the Aldo Netz trainers in February but I wasn't sure. They arrived. I didn't like the ankle strap which I thought was an unnecessary detail. I returned those. And then I decided that I did like them, ankle strap and all but they had sold out by then. Serves me and my indecisive nature right!



Aldo Netz Wedge Trainers (N/A)

I didn't see any I liked for a while apart from some from the Kooples. As it was getting to half way through the year, I planned ahead and decided I needed some dark ones for the Autumn school run. The black wedge trainers from the Kooples looked dire on me and made me look like I had titchy feet and my legs unusually stunted. 

Kooples Black Wedge Trainers (N/A)

Then came early August and the Autumn/Winter ranges came flocking in. I saw these maroon coloured ones in River Island but I held back. 

River Island Red Wedge Trainers (N/A)

And then whilst shopping in Aldo for the Grumps, I came across the Aldo Anuka in lovely grey suede. I danced and pranced in the shop in them whilst the Grumps blatantly ignored me and I ended up putting them back - I was just about to set off for a blisteringly hot holiday in Greece so had no need for grey wedge trainers ... yet. And then ASOS had a promotion with 20% off. I ordered as quick as a flash. But I wasn't sure and I now know what my problem was - I was trying to wear them with my boyfriend jeans and they weren't sitting comfortably with the turn ups. So I returned them (thank you ASOS - I love you and your free delivery and returns).



On the Dorothy Perkins site, I came across this pair of black wedge trainers very similar in style to the maroon River Island ones (which had long disappeared from the website). What's that familiar saying? You snooze, you lose. 

Dorothy Perkins Black Wedge Trainers **

And dithered and dithered and dithered until they disappeared from the website too. So I rang the store and they had a pair in a size 4 at half price. Fantastic! They had my name on them. Literally. That's because I told the shopgirl to save them under my name :o)  By chance I took a look on the Aldo site at the Anuka wedge trainers and they were half price as well. Oh my, oh my, oh my. None in my size on the website but one pair left in the store. I told the Aldo shopgirl to save them under my name as well.

So I have in my possession two pairs of wedge trainers. One black, one grey. 


  
I have to wear a cover thy bum jumper when wearing skinnies.

Sorry you can't see the detail. But you get the jist.
Hard decision eh? Black or grey?

I confess - these take a bit of work or rather I'm not as comfortable with the way they appear on me as when I wear my ankle boots. They seem only to work with skinny jeans tucked in for me and I'm not sure I'm benefitting from the supposed leg lengthening which is supposed to happen or maybe I just can't see it? Can anyone see how much longer my legs look? No? I thought not. However, on the good side, they are comfortable and I get to wear socks and keep my feet warm during the chilly mornings when I fancy something different from boots. I know this is one trend I need to get out of my system. Black or grey, black or grey? You can see my little brain is going mad with the indecision.

However ..... if you never see them again, it's because I probably took them all back ... again. I like them in my head but I'm not sure I like them in reality on me. But you've got to give me credit for trying haven't you? Just remember - never give up, never surrender!


---------------------------

*  Aldo Grey & Black Anuka trainers available on ASOS at £60 currently. RRP is £80. On Aldo's website, the grey ones are now down to £41 but they don't have all sizes. Off you go!

** The Dorothy Perkins trainers are no longer available on line but it's worth checking in store if they have them in stock still.



38 comments

  1. That is quite a wedge trainer story!! But you got there in the end! I particularly love the grey ones - may check if a 6 is available still..... oh dear you really are bad for my bank balance! I actually do admire your ability to send things back if you are uncertain - I tend to stick with it once things have arrived, unless they just don't fit at all. Laziness prevails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I send things back if I'm unsure because I don't have the money to sit on things and let them fester. There's always something else out there for this little shopaholic! Do you know what? I'm a frugal shopaholic! An oxymoron if ever I invented one. The grey ones are actually really lovely which is why I keep going back to them and they are the perfect shade of grey. Trust me - I'm an expert!

      Delete
  2. I was pretty dead-set against this trend for a long time as I was convinced it only worked on super tall super skinny superhumanly beautiful supermodels. But then I found these and my mind was changed:

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com.es/2012/10/sukita.html

    I didn't get them, since they cost about $400 more than I'd like to pay, but I still think about them from time to time. I'd say you should go with the grey, they just look a bit more streamlined and slim in their silhouette. The main issue I had with most of these (original IMs included, as well as the Marc Jacobs etc) was the thick strap they'd put across the ankle and the way it would puff out, so that if you weren't stick skinny, all it did was erase your ankle and blend calf into puffy foot. Not flattering. Sorry for the rambling. Obviously I have issues regarding these ;)

    On a side note, I'm learning so much british lingo from your blog. Titch?! Had to google it. Thanks for schooling me again.

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - those sukitas are something else. But they are pretty different from the usual offerings and have much cleaner lines. I'm not overly keen on extra detailing on wedge trainers partly because I'm small and then I look like I've got clodhoppers on my feet. There - you can go and google clodhoppers now! Another new word for you.

      I think I already have settled on the grey - hence it gets the main picture at the top of the post :o)

      Delete
  3. Grey all the way!!! I am exactly the same, I think too much, then return, then regret, then hunt them down again, then get mad with myself for returning/not buying in the first place and wasting so much time! I am a returns Queen!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the club. Thank goodness - I thought I was the only bonkers member. Do we need a secret handshake?

      Delete
    2. I need a good shake of some sort, arrrgh! Currently trying to track down a FCUK party dress I should have bought back in September, now been sent the wrong size, contemplating calling all my local ish stores to get it......bonkers yes! Not been helped that I've seen Pippa Middleton wore it so now I want it even more! All in the name of fashion hey!

      Delete
  4. I ADORE the grey - they will go with far more - keep, keep, keep - I LOVE my wedge trainers and wear them far more than I thought I would! Laughing my ass of at how many times you've been so nearly there...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joanna - it would be so much easier if I was as tall as you and had legs as long as yours to go with all manner of footwear instead I am a dinky midget trying desperately to add inches to her little legs with strange footwear. I know how Tom Cruise feels now :o)

      Delete
  5. Lol at the Tom Cruise comment!
    I think they look great, I'm not usually a trainer girl but with a wedge I'm seriously tempted. I think they do lengthen your legs and look fab with your jeans- although I usually head straight for black I just love the grey on you.....
    Got to go... off to the Aldo website ;)
    Jane
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your heels :o) You should try some ... they would certainly be different territory for you and you never know, you might like them!

      Delete
  6. i like the black ones! wore mine all over SF and they're probably my favorite cheapie purchase all season. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you like wedge trainers and you look fab in yours and the way you style them. I need to drag out a few more things from the wardrobe and see what else works for me.

      Delete
  7. I was the same with the wedge trainers and settled on a pair of white with a touch of light beige detail from ASOS for £30 back in May. I like them best with my wide palazzo pants :-) and wore them a lot over Spring and Summer. I LOVE the grey pair which I think would be more versatile? I am really, really fussy about black shoes because my feet are tiny and black footwear make them look even smaller which in turn makes me look unbalanced. However if you feel the black would get more wear then, keep them....if you decide to have a pair that is :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Palazzo's? Now I certainly haven't thought of trying that one. I like the grey because they are much softer in tone but they are also real suede and really nicely made. I think they are keepers ... I can't keep on with this wedge trainer crusade any longer.

      Delete
  8. I prefer the grey ones Sue - think they look FAB on you. The scarf brings the outfit together really nicely. Keep them! I'm kind of sorry I bowed to bloggy (and husband) pressure and sent my tan ones back…I think I will definitely buy a pair in the sales…off to check out those grey ones right now… xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking I hadn't seen your wedge trainers since your original post on them. I think you would be a lot happier with these grey ones - not as "fashiony" as some and a little more discreet? Come on over to the grey side!

      Delete
  9. Welcome to the dark side! MWahahahahaha...!! The black Kooples will only work if you wear dark pants. I couldn't get away with them despite owning (and totally loving) their beige ones. But then again, I've got scrawny ankles so I struggle with finding ones that do fit. Ah...me and my shoe dilemma. They look good on you. I like them both! Can't believe how little you paid for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do actually like them both but I will probably keep the grey ones. And the grey ones are a fantastic price now. I did so want the black Kooples to work but oh they looked bad on me. I'm just waiting for you to turn up in a pair of Bobby's ... soon.

      Delete
    2. I've done a bit of damage this month. And it's only the 2nd week! No definitely no Bobbys until 1) IM makes them in size 35 2) I win the lottery.

      Delete
  10. I love the grey ones, I think the style of them is lost a bit in the black. I know what you mean about them only going with certain things, mine only go with 2 pairs of really skinny jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - it's not just me then. Phew. Just been to have a look at your blog and you are one clever lady. But I also love your comment on Taylor Lautner "Such a healthy looking boy". I think I would have just said "hubba hubba".

      Delete
  11. Your wedge trainer shopping has worn me out! So glad you finally got a pair that you are pleased with or two pairs you are pleased with! I have always liked the Ash Bowie but I'm way too old for them and can you believe none of my daughters are interested either - silly girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness, I did most of it online. Can you imagine how exhausted I would have been in I'd done it traipsing to the shops? Your girls are not interested in wedge trainers? How can that be? I don't think you're too old - I think it's the style. The ones which Marlene has (the Kooples one in beige) would be lovely on you as they are more subtle.

      Delete
  12. I haven't decided on a pair yet. I want the Bobby by Isabel Marant but I don't like the price :) Love yours..especially the black ones!
    xxx
    Nina
    http://trendsurvivor.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bobbys are lovely. The only colour I've spotted so far have been the anthracite ones but I would love a pair in the taupe. But the price ... ouch.

      Delete
  13. I must admit I am a big fan of the wedge trainer. I love mine as they are as comfy as trainers but have heels and I love heels.(I don't actually wear converse all the time! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a great lover of heels - I used to be but then I become a mother! I'm just starting to wear them again this year - no great height and I'm taking it slowly and surely. I'm surprised Converse don't do a wedge heel yet. Or do they?

      Delete
    2. Sigh, I used to wear heels all the time before becoming a mother but now all my heels are sadly sitting in the wardrobe waiting for special occasions. Believe me if I'm going out in the evening now, no matter where it is, I am wearing heels! LOL!

      Delete
  14. These look great Sue ..great with skinny jeans .. happy wearing !

    Joanne

    http://www.balletpumpsandroses.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for it ... I kept a pair and went out in them for a mega trial and they were super comfy. I can actually recommend these for comfort if you still want a little height but maximum comfort.

      Delete
  15. I think the grey look lovely! Have a good week:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chic Mama. I went with the grey. I thought I'd better get on with it and stop fannying around as my Grumps would say.

      Delete
  16. the grey aldos.. :) i still haven't made up my mind if i want to get one of these - by the time i do everything will be sold out i think!

    steph / absolutely-fuzzy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept the grey Aldos and they are super comfy. I couldn't believe how comfy actually to the point where I think I will be wearing them a lot more than I thought I would. I love it when there's a happy ending! Just get yourself a studded pair and you'll be fine!

      Delete
  17. I think I will have to succumb and get some too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do - I think you'll like them and I can totally see you in a pair.

      Delete
  18. You look great in the wedge trainers! I know they are all the rage now (thanks to IB?)but somehow they make my midget's feet look even smaller. I have to skip them :(

    ReplyDelete

Susie So So