Christmas Night In & Striking Gold

Thursday 13 December 2012
Dressing up is a bit of a chore for me.I don't like the whole shebang with the makeup, the heels and the sparkly dress. I find it hard work and beneath the glamour, you're cold and uncomfortable. And when you've eaten, you bloat. Lovely.

But I had the annual Mums Christmas Get Together last weekend. A night in with a Chinese takeaway and a bottle of grape'o vino. And I was in a bit of a quandary over what to wear and then bingo! We struck gold.

I dug out my black French Connection Berrie dress so named because it has da da dah ..... berries on it. I picked it up in the post Christmas sales when it had been reduced from £67 down to £52. Big savings. Not. But £15 is £15 and it's better in my pocket than someone elses. And as I'd been hunting it down, for once when I saw it, I bought it. No snoozing, no losing this time. This is what I call one of my curtsey rather than a take a bow dresses. Bend over in this one and everyone will be choking on their canapes.

French Connection Berrie Dress (old)
So far - looks more day than night.

Black opaques are an essential with the dress. And the boots? These are the Jigsaw Poppy boots which I hankered after for so long. I played the waiting game and scored them in the summer sale - woop woop! What you might not be able to make out in the photos below is that the boots have a hidden platform in the front which makes them that much more comfortable and still keeps them streamlined. This was their first outing and I'm pretty pleased with them.



Jigsaw Poppy Boots SS12
What - these old things?

L my friend was agog that it had taken me so long to wear them but that's pretty much what I'm like - I buy, I hoard, I stroke it, put it back in my wardrobe and then a couple of months down the line (or even years in the case of my Mulberry bag), I finally get it out and decide to wear/use it. It also means you can legitimately use the phrase "What? This old thing?".

And striking gold? I did this in my Hobbs NW3 cardigan.


It's like a gold spray paint job on top of a black cardi.

Perks up the dress a bit and makes it more nighttime.

I think that topped the dress off nicely - a nod to the Christmas spirit with the gold which also helps take it in to the evening. I didn't go overboard - I wasn't out on the razz, I didn't need sparkles and sequins (phew) and I felt neither underdressed or overdressed (which I am usually). The cardigan was a Christmas present last year and I like the fact that it's a dirty metallic (the grunge factor comes to the fore yet again) and you can work it with a dress like the above or with a tee and jeans as below. To be honest - it's the perfect Christmas cardigan but one which can be worn all year round.


Happier in this than the dress.

So which outfit would you have gone for? I personally prefer the jeans one but sometimes you've just got to take yourself out of your comfort zone and stick on a dress ... all in the name of Christmas.

So, are you in dresses, sparkles, jeans or velvet this year? If I had my own way, I'd be in a pair of joggy bots.


--------------------------------------------------

Just a thought.

For the DIY'ers out there. It might actually be possible to do this with an old black cardigan and a can of gold spray paint providing you don't keel over from the fumes first. Just a thought. I dare you!

37 comments

  1. Excuse me whilst I drool over the boots........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those boots are fantastic. What a great purchase, bet you will enjoy them for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt I will - I have quite a few pairs of Jigsaw boots actually - the leather has always been really lovely and soft on them and they have lasted well. Some are probably 9-10 years and still look fine and haven't dated. I like to think I chose well.

      Delete
  3. Can I just say those boots are totally lush, I'm joining Claire in the drool-fest ;) Nice frock too btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay. You can join Claire in the drool fest. I ought to get more wear out of the frock but with it being so darn cold - I just don't fancy the draughts. Ah well - it's had an outing this year at least.

      Delete
  4. I'm still focused on the fact that you had a Mulberry bag for YEARS before using it. Helloo??? Why??? But lovely dress and actually, I too really like (poss prefer!) the cardi with the t-shirt & jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I am very sad. Once I use something then that's it - it's been christened but until that day, I usually like to look at it adoringly. It's okay I'm in agreement with the tshirt and jeans - that's more me but I just felt I needed to try and make an effort ... for once.

      Delete
  5. I think you look wonderful in the dresses I've seen so you should wear them more often! That dress looks really easy to wear and the cardi is perfect. I love that dirty gold shade! The ankle boots are brilliant - you're so lucky to have feet in the normal size range!! I much prefer these types of footwear for dressy occasions than normal heels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a very girly girl and I think that's why I have a problem with wearing them plus being at home with two boys - I don't find dresses great for running around in. I liked them when I was pregnant because I couldn't keep my trousers up properly around my bump but once the bump went - trews and jeans all the way unless it's blisteringly hot. What size feet do you have then?

      Delete
    2. UK2/EU35 but with some brands, even if I can get that size, the shoes can still end up too big! Just depends on how consistent they are. None of the high street shops do it so it's mostly the designer brands that go from 34 sometimes.

      Delete
  6. I'm a bit of a hoarder too - I like things to stay 'new' for as long as possible! Loving the Poppy boots - how perfect would they be for me!? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy boots for Poppy - very perfect! I'm with you on the 'staying new' things though I like to buy things which look a bit distressed. No - I don't understand it either.

      Delete
  7. I bought a dress but will probably be dying to get back in jeans and jumper by the time dinner is cooked and eaten!You look lovely in the dress and boots!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. It will be guaranteed that on Christmas day - I will have a pair of jeans on. I had a friend when I was very young and her family always dressed up on Christmas day and looked lovely. I thought it was a fab idea but at the end of the day - I go for comfort first.

      Delete
  8. Love the cardi, wish I had seen that last year, its gorgeous! I prefer the jeans outfit because I feel more comfy in them but the dress/boot/cardi combo does look lovely and I am a big FC fan xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the grunge factor on the cardigan - I was just immediately drawn to it. I'm with you on the jeans though - comfort first! Especially if you trough loads like me.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous, Sue! I can't believe you hoard your new clothes! You're just like a few people I know. The next time we go shopping, I'm going to force you to take out your new clothes and wear them right then and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would as well! Yup - I'm a hoarder. It usually takes me a while to break in something new - I was pretty quick with my wedge trainers though as I think they're a pretty now item. I don't think they will still be in in 3 years time and I have been after some for a year or more so do dilly dallying this time.

      Delete
  10. Dresses all the way for me! Love this one and looks great on you. Agree with everyone about the gorgeous boots.
    I have to wear new stuff ASAP....get v excited and just have to put it on now, can't wait....sometimes change into it right away!! I'm sad!
    ( ps looking fwd to wearing your monsoon dress for the first time this weekend!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would choose the dress as I know you love dresses. I do honestly find them hard work though. The Monsoon dress - have you tried sitting down in it yet - the sequins rustle a bit. You get used to it though and after a glass of vino - you won't even notice! Have fun this weekend.

      Delete
  11. I love both outfits and understand why you would go for the jeans (me too), but as you say pushing outside the comfort zone for Christmas is a good thing. Great dress that said!

    xx Mandi
    www.findmeamuse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandi. You're a jeans girl like me. I don't think I've ever seen you in a dress? In a skirt yes - but dress? Love to see you how you rock a dress!

      Delete
  12. Curtsey rather than bow, love it! I have actually let down all my dresses, but could have saved myself a few bob with the curtseying option! All onfigurations of the dress and cardy are wonderful, very cool with the.... is it gold? is it black? look of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - bend over in this and I feel sorry for anyone behind me. Love your new dress though - how very fifties and very very elegant. Very Audrey!

      Delete
    2. Yes last time my Kiwi friend was over she said I needed to obtain a pair of bicycle shorts to wear with a dress I had....cut it off and now it's a top, all good.

      Delete
  13. What a lovely cardigan and great with the dress - just a touch of sparkle and perfect for this time of year. I like my jeans too but wearing a dress makes it feel like more of a special night!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Christmas - you have to make a little effort but I was thinking there's no reason why you can't work the dress and cardi in the daytime. I'm slowly getting my head round this concept.

      Delete
  14. i think the cardi works so well with the dress. beautiful textures too. pretty sure this is the same cardi i had my eye on a while ago, it looks really good on you sue!

    steph / absolutely-fuzzy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cardi - can't explain it. It's not grey, it's not cashmere, but I love it. Sometimes you just got to break out a bit.

      Delete
  15. Both looks are great! The cardi /jeans is very rockish and cool that said my favorite is the dress and metallic cardi which in my opinion is more creative and stylish. It's a lovely combination and you do look pretty, comfortable and not freezing! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I was comfortable and warm. That's very important. If I'm uncomfortable, it shows in my face. I hate it when I get faceache from trying to stop my teeth chattering. You go to a restaurant and they whack on the air con at full blast and you sit there wearing something thin but glamourous and your teeth are chattering away.

      Delete
  16. I prefer the second one with the gold cardigan and the dress. It's a stunning combination. Also, great blog, would you like to follow each other?

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for stopping past - will pop over to have a read of yours!

      Delete
  17. I am in looooveee with that cardigan. It really is the perfect Christmas finishing touch, looking gorgeous with jeans and your dress. What a fantastic present to receive... hope you get as lucky this year!
    Jane
    XX
    PS Sorry for introducing temptation but I wandered past the Kooples today and couldn't help but notice that your dream boots are reduced :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a very bad woman - waving temptation at me like that! But thanks for the heads up all the same :o)

      Delete
  18. I think it's just me as the second outfit is what I would wear..so I prefer that one! :) The cardigan, necklace, jeans and all is just perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Susie So So