Getting Shirty

Wednesday 11 May 2016



Adidas Stan Smith, Cecile Copenhagen Top, Grazia


Yesterday was Tuesday. Tuesday is swimming night for the boys and Tuesday is also Grazia drop through the letterbox day. I have a subscription and I've had it for years - it's one of those things you take out when they have a good promotion and a good gift. I can't remember what the gift was, it was a long long time ago and a lot of Grazia's have passed through my letterbox since then and subsequently in to the recycling bin. I also have to admit when I got my Porter magazine subscription, I received an anti-cellulite pack as my promotional gift. Not impressed ... at all. 

Anyway, for the record, the number 2 hot story of the week in Grazia is shirt dresses. Good. Because I came across this cracking little number in Zara. If you've followed me for some time, you will know I love very simple designs like this - a touch of Toast, a touch of COS, a touch of Margaret Howell, a touch of APC. All my dreams in a dress come true (without the price tag). And it's a shirt dress which looks like a dress and not just an oversized shirt as it's slightly a-lined. Oh and did I mention the pockets? It has luverly big pockets :))))


Can you tell how I really really like this?



For summer, I will be wearing it along these lines. It's one of those dresses where you don't need to over accessorise. Simple ... err ... like me.




-------------------------------


And these are a few other shirt dresses which have caught my eye : a shirt dress takes on many guises you know and not everyone wants to wear a short blue floaty number like mine!


Uniqlo Cotton Linen Check Dress




This Uniqlo one is a good take on those shown in Grazia. Style with a pair of white trainers to keep the look fresh and young - the Converse in the all white leather particularly appeals. The Jigsaw navy and black backpack is very contemporary and I'm liking the clean lines on it. Or you could go very Margaret Howell SS16 and pair the dress with some Saltwaters. I picked the silver ones here in the "Classic" style with the buckle as opposed to the "Originals" seen here. Both lovely but the buckle adds a little something for me. Oh yes and simplest of all, style with some ballet pumps for a touch of Audrey. And a basket ;o)



Whistles Longline Shirt Dress


This one reminds me a lot of my Vila shirt dress seen here. On the Whistles website, this is styled with the RADA suede flatform sandals in beige suede - it needs something like this to keep it looking modern rather than safari or institutional. I've opted for the black Topshop Wave Flatform sandals which are a little more affordable and come with good reviews. And somewhere I don't normally look but I've seen a few pieces which have interested me - Massimo Dutti. This Raffia tote with the dark finish trims has clean lines whilst keeping the whole look still summery and a simple Mondaine watch completes that look. Or go for a picnic in a pair of silver Supergas and a big check tote. Don't forget the sunnies! These red ones from French Connection are currently reduced and add a bit of welcome colour to the whole look to keep it looking interesting.



Gap Wrap Tie Stripe Shirt Dress




I love the front tie waist detail on this shirt dress which also happens to come in a lighter blue colour way. That little detail hides so many sins - like all the doughnuts I scoff. But it's such an easy dress to accessorise. I like the dark tones on the left with the black hat against the navy of the dress and I like how this would make a perfectly chic city outfit. And then on the right, we have the lighter more fun accessories with the orange sunglasses and the red bag. And the white mules are the perfect footwear to tie the whole look together. Mules are not for you - bob on your Stans!


----------------------------


Last Note :

  • For information, I'm wearing a size medium in the Zara dress and I am a size 10 and 5ft 1.5" and it finishes on my knee. 
  • It's a linen viscose mix and is very soft and possibly a little on the sheer side but you can just about get away with it. But hey I've stocked up on slips (I'm a closet nana)




15 comments

  1. Hi Susie - love that dress - does it crease badly? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi. I've only just picked up the dress this week so I've not had time to actually put it through it's paces yet. I'm hoping it won't crease too bad but bearing in mind it's a linen viscose mix - the likelihood is there will be some creasing.

      Delete
  2. Typically, my favourite is the Whistles dress. Such expensive taste! Shirt dresses do me no favours though really, so I'll just admire you in yours instead. The Zara one really is lovely, let's just hope we haven't had our summer already! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And are you sure they do nothing for you? I was just thinking that the Whistles one would be perfect on you and your height - perfect with trainers for the life we lead!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this too - you look fab in your shirt dress and it's definitely my fave. They are just so practical and comfortable and easy aren't they?! Grazia gets the thumbs up too of course! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm restricted to certain styles because my height and shape and the Zara one worked fab for me in this instance. If I put on the Whistles one, it would be a maxi on me whereas the Vila one I have is designed as a shorter dress but gives me the Whistles look as I'm a small. It's all swings and roundabouts till you get something that works for you. But thank you - I do love shirt dresses and I have a feeling if we get a bit of a summer this year, you will be seeing these in rotation on me a lot. And yes, Grazia is my constant fashion fix - I daren't stop it as it's my link to the magazine world which is slowly phasing out ....

      Delete
  4. Lovely shirt dresses. I know what you mean about them being a proper dress too, I have a couple of shirts that were described as dresses but are really just long shirts!

    The zara one looks great on you. I like the others too, especially the gap stripy one. Perfect and summery...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya and I know what you mean about some shirt dresses which are literally straight up and down and do just look like a long shirt. This is a-line in shape so it actually looks like a dress on. The Gap stripy one has really good reviews and I love the shape - if they had it in a petite version, I would be tempted as I love the tie detail at the front.

      Delete
  5. Love a good shirt dress! Also, thanks for the Mondaine love, been working on social media for them for the last few months, will email them the link ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this year is the year, I really start building up my collection of shirt dresses. Two in so far. And I love Mondaine watches - they are just so simple in design and appeal to the minimalist in me. Please do send them on the link!

      Delete
  6. I do love a shirt dress, and I adore the one you bought, it does look so expensive and well cut and the fact that it has no waist is a bonus to me at the moment! I bought a fab one a couple of years ago from H&M but I really doubt I will fit into it anymore?! You on the other hand look fab!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know which one you mean, it's quite fitted around the middle - I wouldn't even dare try that, I know I wouldn't be able to fasten the buttons! And thank you about the Zara dress - I've just ironed it ready for wearing - let's hope we have good weather this coming week! x

      Delete
  7. I love these little collages, SusieSoSo. The warmer weather is suddenly upon us, so I'm welcoming your ideas and especially love a shirt dress with white trainers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a gorgeous dress Sue - I've seen some lovely ones on Everlane here but the buttons make me nervous with my boobs - I feel like I am always adjusting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Zara shirt dress is gorgeous! The style really suits you. Not sure I can pull them off though, but they are so good for the summer. Jane x

    http://arthursmum.com

    ReplyDelete

Susie So So