Culottes Love In

Thursday 19 May 2016


Last year, I stuck my toe in the culottes pool. And I liked it. I actually liked it more than I thought but I think it was also down to the fact that I had bided my time and decided how I wanted to wear them - with trainers and with bare legs. I also decided on a denim like pair so the transition in to something other than jeans wasn't going to be too traumatic and that decision actually worked very well for me. 

This year, I'm going down the culottes path again and infact the first thing I decided to wear this year on one of the few warm days we had was my culottes. They offer you the whole bare leg thing without making you feel too exposed. And it also means for some of the lazy girls amongst us - you only need to shave/remove hairs and tan up to your knees :o))

Anyway, I was in M&S the other day and spotted some dark denim (quite minimalist style) culottes and I tried them on with a little white shirt that I had spotted previously as I liked the short  boxy proportions of this teamed with the high waisted culottes. I thought it very Brittany Bathgate if she was to put her foot in M&S. This isn't a great picture as you can't see the detail on the culottes and I don't have her svelte like proportions and I'm older by a good 20 years but you get the jist.





I'm trying a size 10 in both items here. I also heard there was a rumour that Marks & Sparks were having one of their 20% Family & Friends days coming up so I thought I would bide my time. Well my friends, that day is upon us and the discount code MAY16A12 can be used. And as luck would have it ... my shirt is not available online (what time do you people seriously wait up to to get your orders in????) but my culottes are.

And just to stick another pair of culottes in to the equation, I found some in Tesco F&F yesterday. Again, not a dissimilar fit and quite flattering on but a slightly lighter weight denim at a great price. These come up big in a size 10 so I sized down to an 8 (and I am so not an 8) and they fitted very similar to a size 10 in the Marks & Spencer's ones. Whoever said M&S was generous in sizing wasn't talking about their culottes for sure as they are just on the cusp of tight but I think the denim will loosen. I did bring the F&F ones home with me and I will be ordering the M&S to compare to see which are my favourites but I think M&S just have the edge on the styling but we shall see.

And whilst I'm ordering ... I'm going to pop a bottle of Alpha H Liquid Gold in there. I need all the beauty help I can get these days and it's one of the few beauty items I actually repeat buy so I might as well stock up now #ageisunkind



3. Cos Frill Detail Stripe Top (love, love this)




12 comments

  1. I'll be honest, I'm not sure about culottes - for me, at least - but I bloody love that shirt on you! Please tell me you managed to get hold of one??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they weren't for me either until I tried them last year and had some success with them - they make me feel a little more with it than just a regular skirt and they are incredibly practical - that makes me sound awfully old doesn't it? And the shirt - none left in my size online and one left in Leeds from what I can see on the stock levels - and I'm not heading in for the rest of the week :o(

      Delete
  2. Loving this outfit, great styling as always! I bought some dark denim culottes from Whistles in the sale at the end of last summer and I'm enjoying playing with this new style! Love that white shirt, just ordered online with the discount (thanks for the heads up), I'm a 12 usually, but ordered a 14 as smallest available. If it's too big I'm hoping I can hunt down a smaller one in store when I go to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh did you get some nice ones from Whistles then? And they're a bit of revelation aren't they but so comfy. And the white shirt - hope it works out for you. You can use the stock checker to see if there are in store near you - you might get lucky!

      Delete
    2. Ugh, so I hated the shirt on me, even my 4 yr old said no mum! But I did swap it for an ace checked shirt with frill bib and bow tie which I loved (sounds horrid, is actually awesome!) and wouldn't have found if I had't gone into store to see the white shirt. Every cloud.. ha ha x

      Delete
    3. I know which shirt you mean and it is really nice - I actually took the checked one in with the cropped shirt at the same time to try on but I felt too girly in it. It didn't quite look right if I didn't tie the necktie and I looked too stiff when I had it done up but it's a pretty shirt or else I wouldn't have bothered trying it on. But like you say - every cloud!

      Delete
  3. I love the outfit Sue, just hope you can get the shirt as it looks so good on you!
    I agree culottes are such an easy look to pull off when the weather is as strange as it is? I have never tried the Alpha A Liquid gold...heard lots about it, but had no idea M&S sold it...may give it a go, on your always great recommendations!!
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have time to chase down the shirt and I've just spent up on something else now - I move on really quickly! The Alpha H is really good, I've been using it for two years now - worth a try although it might not suit everyone but all in all the feedback for it has been very good. Even Charlotte Hirons has good things to say about it.

      Delete
  4. Oh I am feeling the culottes love too! They are so good for this weird weather that just can't seem to make up it's mind!! The shirt looks amazing too, perfect way to style the trews! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that culottes are going to be my thing this year along with dresses. And no I didn't manage to bag the shirt but hey ho, there's lots of other things to style with the culottes - they actually seem to go with so much in my wardrobe.

      Delete
  5. They really look good on you! I also love those sandals you've picked out from M &S. Jane X

    http://arthursmum.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. And those sandals are a fabulous blue aren't they? Work so well against a navy and white palette!

      Delete

Susie So So