Culottes

Tuesday 2 June 2015


"Apart from the waist, do you want them taking in at the legs? They are quite wide."

"Err no thank you."

"A little bit shorter?"

"Err no thank you."

A few more tweaks, and a few more pins. 

"The legs - you don't want them taking in?"

"Err no, it's okay. They are meant to be wide. They are ..... culottes."

See - this is why I stick with a pair of jeans and a top or a pair of jeans and a jumper. Fashion takes a while to come round to these parts. 

I was at the alterations place - the place for those tweaks which I can't do myself. Like taking in waistbands on culottes which you buy two sizes up from your normal size because H&M's sizing is so all over the place at the moment. The size 10 came up to my bum and wouldn't go past. The size 12 whiskered at the crotch due to them being a bit on the snug side and the size 14 gave me dropcrotch. Oh joy. But I liked the dratted things so I persevered. And besides, I did say in February, I was going to be doing denim culottes this year. So here I am trying out a few looks!

Super Casual.

This is the one which I felt was most me. Super casual, super comfy and super practical. It is the perfect school run outfit if you can get your head around wearing culottes. No fiddling or readjustments required (the waist sits nice and high) and that is always good in my school run books.


Jigsaw Ottoman jumper, H&M Culottes, Aubin & Wills Tote, Adidas Stan Smiths


Double Denim.

I actually had this denim shirt on in the changing room when I first tried the culottes on and I quite liked the look of the two pieces together - a little bit like a denim culotte jumpsuit. This definitely has a whiff of the seventies about it but my legs needed the heels big time when I paired them with the shirt. If there was ever proof needed of the benefits of a pair of heels - I have witnessed it with my own eyes when I tried this outfit with the Stans. Whilst the Stans were okay with the jumper above, they looked all kind of wrong on my body with the shirt. I think I just died a little. And shrunk a foot. But if you have long legs go for it, it's a cool look with trainers. Me? I shall just weep and rock in the corner.


H&M shirt, H&M culottes, H&M Sandals, APC bag


Classic Stripes.

I wear a stripe top at least once a week so I put one on with the culottes. I have to confess, I took the picture but I didn't love this look on me (you can tell by the pics) but I've put it out there anyway. It's okay but just a little too nautical themed and neat for me. It makes me want to go round going "Aye aye Captain!" and do the hornpipe.



Jigsaw top, H&M Culottes, Jigsaw Alicia Bag, Carvela Sandals

Kooky.

I was already wearing the shirt and the shoes the day I took these pics and when I pulled on the culottes, I thought it had a nice kooky feel about it. Again, a whiff of 70s but without the whole boho hippy vibe. The bag was an Ebay find and is an old butter soft leather Enny which I often do a search on. Sometimes, it's worth a search on Ebay to find a good leather handbag for the same price (if not cheaper) than most of the current high street man made offerings (says she who bought a £6 Primark handbag recently). I rather like the tan contrast trim against the black leather - a little something different.


Uniqlo gingham shirt, H&M culottes, Enny Bag, Swedish Hasbeens


So that's my take on denim culottes. I think they're going to slot in with my other pieces really well....

..... better than dungarees anyway.


----------------------------

Last Note :

  • Of course the culottes are not online but they are in store from the Conscious section in H&M. Size up big time.
  • These are almost like a tencel type fabric. Light, super soft and comfy.


23 comments

  1. Adore the culottes on you and every single way you have styled them! How good are those H&M sandals too, they look great on you and I am slightly envious of your Hasbeens too. Impeccable styling as always you super cool lady! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well believe it or not Frances, you were the one which got me thinking about denim culottes with your pair of Chloe ones last year - I did some mad searching for some similar styled ones but had no luck. I tried on some Topshop ones but they were really quite laughable and I think I was lucky with this pair which were not too in your face, too flappy, too stiff or too anything. Normcore culottes basically :)

      Delete
  2. You look so cool Sue! Love these culottes! I've tried with culottes so many times and discounted them!! Do I need to go again and try these beauties!! Just as I've enforced my spending ban again.....oh dear! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - you hang tight there. You're doing good on your spending ban and I don't want to undo it for you. Having said that, I can see you wearing these and getting some wear out of them - they are more wearable than you think. I don't think anyone will look at me twice in the playground in these but I think they would if I wore dungarees. They feel wrong on me.

      Delete
  3. They look fantastic on you Sue, great styling.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I'm not sure how much was styling and how much was lucky it just went together. Or not but I'm convincing myself it does.

      Delete
  4. These are perfect on you Susie. I'm tempted to go down to my local H&Mto get me a pair but hang on I've got 3 pairs already eek! I'm a self confessed culotte-addict! Agree with you that they slot right in with your other pieces .
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a culotte addict. Oh gosh, I am late to the game but I did need to find the right pair and summer's not over yet so I have a little time to give these some action. But yes, they fit well with a lot in the wardrobe.

      Delete
  5. I am not a culotte person, think I would have to wear them with heels which I only do when going out now. On you, however, I love double demin and I adore kooky. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look better in them with heels - they make a huge difference to the look but if I'm going to get my wear out of them, I am going to have to brave it with some flats. I kind of like "kooky" too. It's more fun but all very wearable.

      Delete
  6. I love these on you, but definitely not for me! I like them best with the breton, even though you don't! Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strangely enough, I could see you in a pair of linen ones. Would be fab on your camping trips and strolling around in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love the culotte look, but with my bottom and thighs I don't think I could pull them off at all! The double denim and the stripes are just perfect looks to me. Gorgeous post! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! How lovely to see you on here. I've just found out that you have the most gorgeous blog!

      And thank you about the culottes. It was a toss up between a denim midi and these and I thought I'd take a chance and try something different. I daren't look around the back though ... could be quite scary :)

      Delete
  9. I love the double denim look Sue ... you look like a Charlie's Angel (an original and best of course!) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love culottes and gave several pairs for winter and summer. Agree about H&M sizing - I have the raw edged denim culottes and even a size up is slightly snug. And they're not "growing" like my H&m boyfriends. V. Annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind so much but to take in your size and then have to go back for another size and then go back for another size again - pfft. I could have just about got away with the 12 but they niggled me so i had to go up for peace of mind. Luckily I also had a discount card to use with them ... which paid for my alterations.

      Delete
  11. i love all these outfits Sue, but the double denim combo is my absolute favourite. You've got seventies style perfected there! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The double denim and the breton outfits are coming out as the winners here. I quite like these posts as people's opinions are so divided on which they prefer.

      Delete
  12. These look great. Worth taking in - H&M sizing can be weirdly erratic.

    Love the double denim and the kooky. I am definitely having a shirt moment in this inbetweeny weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya. I think they were worth the alteration too.

      And yep - I'm loving my shirts too at the moment. Not loving the ironing though.

      Delete
  13. Thank you! I think it was just by chance I came across these - maybe it was fate.

    And I think if you're not wearing the old wide leg jeans as they are, I think that's a really good idea. Let me know if you do!

    ReplyDelete

Susie So So