You Can't Have Too Many Pretty Tops ....

Thursday 2 April 2015


..... especially of the cream/ivory/white variety. I personally think that they have magic powers - they can transform you and make you look and feel pretty even if your natural state is more tomboy than Cinderella. I love them and I thought I'd tell you about a few which I picked up recently. I'm not sure I'm keeping one of them but I've included it as though it may not be right for me, it may be right for someone else. 

The first one I came across at the beginning of March was from the H&M children's section. Okay, so not everyone is going to fit into kid's clothing but for those who are around a size 10 or under - you can get away with this one.




H&M Girls Blouse (not online but can be found in store)


On the hanger, it looks a bit of a mess. Mine was wedged in between lots of other tops and looked rather sorry for itself when I found it. But I could see it had potential and I liked the side tie which was a nice little detail. The fabric is a little sheer and like a thin cheesecloth and bearing this in mind, when I got it home, I steamed it rather than iron it to help the unwanted creases drop out without losing the crinkled effect. I'm actually wearing a size 170+ (Age 14), the biggest size they have in the girls section and I would say this is the equivalent of a ladies size UK 10.  And guess what? I even had a penny change from a tenner :)

The next top is also from H&M and I bought this after my rather unsuccessful attempt with the Next folk top. This one has actually been in H&M for a while now and I've tried it on a couple of times but I didn't buy as I was in winter jumper mode. Now that we have hit British summer time - bring on the pretty tops!






This one is 100% cotton, not too sheer and has the cutest sleeve details. It also reminds me of this beautiful Talitha Geeti top in shape. I bought this in a size 8 rather than my usual size 10 as it has a little volume to it but is still quite flattering  Basically you can't fail with a pretty white number like this for this summer, next summer and every summer after that. This time I had no penny change from a tenner :( 

When I was ordering the New Look gold strappy sandals, I stuck this cami top in with the order. 






It's pretty isn't it? Heck they're all pretty! And 100% cotton. How much detail is there and how lovely is that lace trim? And all for £17.99. Granted that the lace trim and embroidery doesn't go all the way round to the back but to be honest, a lot of tops don't and they go for much more than that. I think it's the perfect little cami for sticking under a kimono or a cardi - I like a bit of coverage. My only concern? I could do with it being a bit shorter in length - this isn't a strap shortening deal (it does have adjustable straps), this is a couple of inches longer than it should be on me and I worry about it looking like it's lengthening my torso and shortening my legs even more than what they already are. Hmm. But it would be perfect on someone a little taller than me. Have a look at the top on the model here and where the top finishes on her compared to me. Am I overthinking this? I'm still deciding - any opinions? Oh yes, I bought this one in a size 10.

And now the last one. 




Zara TRF Top


I think this must have come in to Zara the day I popped in and I'm sorry I can't find it online. I was on my way out of the store when I saw it. I took a size medium in to the changing room and a quick try on was followed by a quick trip to the till. Another 100% cotton top - this is almost like an unbleached cotton and the embroidery also stops at the side. Something I like about this is the cutwork detail which just gives a hint of skin without revealing too much. Cute. 

So I did say I like a pretty top or two didn't I? I wasn't joking. Which one is your favourite? And what do you think about the camisole?


---------------------------------


Last Note :

  • If you don't have a handheld steamer like I do for steaming jackets or delicate fabrics, I just press lots of steam out from the iron just over the garment pulling it straight as I go along but without actually letting the iron touch the fabric.


29 comments

  1. My fave is the Zara one! I do love ivory tops, especially since I'm allergic to pattern but love monochrome embroidery/details... The v-neck and 3/4 sleeves are also some of my go-to elements.

    Love the second h&m one on you too, but it may be a bit too boho to work for me (i think my parents totally ruined that for me during their hippie years).

    Thanks for the steaming tip-that's something I'm going to try since usually when i try to iron i end up with more creases than i started with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite is the second H&M one and the Zara one - they just fit and are easy to wear. The first one needs a little more fiddling with because of the ties - it also feels a little more delicate than the two other cotton ones. And I'm one for v necks and 3/4 sleeves too - short neck and short arms. Gah!

      I'm a bit sad really, I have a full on steamer like the kind you see in stores and a handheld one. I have a clothes press and an iron as well. I like girl gadgets. But glad to assist with the steaming tip.

      Delete
  2. They are all really pretty, but the Zara one is my favorite, too! I think the second H&M top looks so much better on you than on the model, and as for the cami - I actually think it looks great on you :) I don't think it's particularly flattering on the model though, there's just something wrong about the proportions there, to my eye anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karianne. I think the reality is I have a long torso and short legs and the cami serves to emphasise this. I didn't put in a full length shot here but worn with skinny jeans and flat sandals, it becomes really obvious. It's a pretty cami though - it deserves a little recognition.

      Delete
  3. I like the cami - and don't think its too long, out of the other three the kids one is my fave - I'd get it myself but I can't wear that creamy white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like ivory whites rather than pure whites. The pure whites glow a little against my skin but I think I can just about pull it off.

      And I'm still a little hesitant about the camisole. The thing with taking pictures of yourself for a blog means that you get hyper critical of yourself.

      Delete
  4. I love the H&M cotton blouse. I was thinking the cami looked a little bit long but they are all very wearable and useful (when we finally get the warm weather.) H xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The H&M cotton blouse fits well and also lets me eat lots - in fact all these tops do which is probably another reason why I chose them. And I think you can see what I can see about the cami as we are both predisposed to the same affliction of long body, short legs syndrome.

      Delete
  5. I think the second H&M one looks absolutely stunning on you! Not liking the New Look one - sorry! - it does look uncomfortably long on you. It's a lovely top though so definitely keep if you like it! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't apologise - I like the honesty. I think it's a lovely top is the New Look cami but I don't think it does much for me in all reality. You'd see me in it and think it's a nice top but you wouldn't think it was the most flattering thing I could wear. The second H&M one is just one of those that you throw on and it already makes the outfit. You don't have to work at it with that one.

      Delete
  6. Oh Sue, I love them all, I have to say however no2 is my favourite .... I am off to have a look online?? I also love that cami too, I don't normally do Cami tops, but they are so handy under a jacket or cardi like you have styled. Great buys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well AnnMarie, the second H&M top was only £10 so you could always have a try. I think you would totally pull that one off. I don't mind buying tops like this quite cheaply as they always look the business and you don't fret too much about ruining them. I always get the most wear out of my least expensive clothes. And I don't do cami tops very much either but this one is a nice thickness - it's lined around the front so there is no indecent exposure. Pretty with some of the longer length cardigans out there currently.

      Delete
    2. H&M one ordered (no2 in your collection) rude not to at £10. I'll let you know how i get on with it. X

      Delete
  7. I like both the second and third tops on you. I personally like longer tops for myself so I don't find the length on the New Look top problematic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would mind the cami being a bit longer if my body was more balanced. I think I read somewhere once that the traditional oriental body shape was long body and short legs. Well I am that alright!

      Delete
  8. You have so many pretty peasant tops! I think I like the last one from Zara the most x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think I've gone a bit OTT Jamie-Lee? I've not even mentioned the ones I already have!

      Delete
  9. I love the first 2 Sue.....if I'm honest I reckon you probably already have lovelier ones already sitting in your wardrobe the the Zara and New Look ones! I picked up a fab little cream blouse in the H&M girls section the other day with a whiff of Marant about it, cheesecloth type material with ruffles down the front and only £3! However I was good and put it back, instead I turned my attention to those fab sunnies you posted the other day, now they did come home with me so thank you for the tip off! :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have lots of these little blouses - they are my summer staple more than a tee shirt would be. I don't like wearing tee shirts that much on their own - I don't think I have the right frame for them - I feel a bit heavy unless I wear a jacket on top. However, a pretty top hides so many sins so I tend to default to these.

    And those little sunnies are really cute aren't they? Who can resist that unexpected blush loveliness on the inside?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a huge fan of pretty white tops and I've bought a few this season already. I love them all to be honest, the cami included. I don't think it looks too long on you at all. They're so versatile for the warmer months. I think my favourite is the second H&M one. Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2nd H&M one is a pretty shape - it's quite flattering the way it nips in and then comes back out again. You can eat as much as you like in this top and no one would be any the wiser.

      Delete
  12. LOVE them all! I must go and look in the children s section

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok Love this topic! I have in my closet a dedicated white/beige section and that Zara would fit perfectly there! I tried the second H&M 2 sizes smaller than my normal size and it did not look like that at all on me :-( back it went. I do like the cami top a lot as well - all keepers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You tried the 2nd H&M one then and you went down 2 sizes. I only went down by 1 - it would have felt tight under the arms otherwise. I found my regular size was a little too swingy.

      And you have a dedicated white/beige section in your wardrobe - now that does sound organised!

      Delete
  14. Well I love them all, but I do agree that the New Look is a little on the large side. It's the volume for me, rather than the length. I'm torn between 2 and 4 as to which is my absolute favourite, but I am also v jealous of your ability to fit into kids stuff. I get the flags out if I manage to get into a pair of Johnny B shoes!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. White tops :) One of my favourite topics. What a great selection, alhtough I agree that the cami is too long. I have that same problem also with tops, The second and fourth are my favouites. Time for me to have a little browse online I think!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You do so suit this style of top...love the H&M ones & such a clever idea to look at the kids section...genius!! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am seriously lacking in pretty tops & need to rectify this asap!! I love them all! Tan sandals, tan bag & you're good to go! x

    ReplyDelete

Susie So So