ASOS Dialog Plimsolls

Saturday 4 October 2014




Let's get back to my first love. Shoes. And the shoes I have been living in until very recently have been my felted grey Next skater pumps. These have been my 2014 autumn update to last years cheetah pony hair versions which I lived in prior to their usurper. Maybe you spotted me wearing them here? So why is there a picture of me in a pair of Asos ones instead? Read on ....

At the beginning of September, I finally decided to give in to the felted grey skate pumps I'd seen at Next. I've decided to pass on the white trainers this season and just settle for something tried and tested but just in a different fabric and different colour way. I like grey, I like wool, so grey felted wool skater pumps it was then. They came, I thought they were great and super comfy (no breaking in required) but I did wish the colour was a little darker. In their favour, they also didn't make my feet too boat like and they had fleecy insoles - how considerate for the colder months ahead!

And then I noticed that the material was coming away a little from the rubber trim at the sides where the foot bends - not an uncommon problem with plimsolls and pumps like this - it's a main stress point. So I rang up Next and mentioned it and they said, just return to us and we will refund you. Well you can't say fairer than that and I was probably going to buy another pair and hope that they faired better as yes I really did like them but then I spotted the ASOS Dialog version in a slightly darker grey. So I bought those instead. Do I like them as much? I don't know. You know how they say the grass is always greener on the other side?

Plus Points for the ASOS version include they are a better colour but they also fit slightly bigger. As a result, I've popped in my own fleecy insoles because I like to treat my feet. And I liked the idea of a fleecy insole for the cooler temperatures anyway. But I feel a little clumsier in these.

Plus Points for Next include - they are a better fit, slightly less boat like and they come pre-fleecy-lined which did bring a smile to my face when I first saw them. And now that I have the darker version, I'm wondering if I prefer the lighter version. 

There's no pleasing some is there?

So I've made my bed and I will lie in it. Or rather I have chosen my shoes and I will now get on with wearing them. Oky doky.


-----------------------------

Last Note :

  • These felted skater are my favourite current shoes - I've worn these constantly (first the Next ones and now the ASOS) since I've got them. They're just neutral, they slip on and they are ace for the school run. Pants in the rain though.
  • These are some of my favourites out there currently ...


(1) ASOS  (2)  Zara (3) ASOS  (4) River Island  (5) ASOS  (6) Next




27 comments

  1. It's funny because I've been deciding for what seems like weeks between these two! I prefer the Next ones if I'm honest. But...now you've made me think about the quality! I've had no trouble with the other two pairs from there. Decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if push came to shove, I'd go back to the Next ones as they were just a fraction more comfortable as well. It's one of those, they each have pluses and minuses and even the fact that I had a slight fault in the pair that I had didn't really put me off them - I just thought I'd try the Asos ones as I had the opportunity. I think I just had a slightly dodgy pair - my cheetah version have been fine and there have been no problems with those whatsoever.

      Delete
    2. Is the weight about on par with Vans?

      Delete
    3. I couldn't say as I've never tried any Vans on to compare - they'e never had any designs which appealed to me particularly, I'm afraid.

      Delete
  2. Looks great Sue! I've been searching for a pair all Spring and Summer in vain so may give up for now. I know what you mean about the width, as I already have wide feet, they do not need to look any wider so that would be the deal breaker. My son has a camouflage canvas pair he's worn all Summer (alternating with the Birks) and declared them the best ever! He's still wearing them now if he's not in school shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My George has had a little pale grey pair which he loves (and which I have just binned) as they are the perfect slip on no effort shoe. I do like these as they are so neutral - I just wish they were better in the wetter weather that's all but it's not a biggie.

      Delete
  3. I really like these and they are so you Sue. Grey would be fab with my winter jumpers but I have only worn the skater shoes I bought in spring once and that was to travel to Spain in May so I won't be buying any more but if I did ................................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - did you not get the wear out of them? Didn't you get some black ones with a chain on them? I thought they looked quite cool.

      Delete
  4. I love the grey, and they're almost slipper like but in a cool way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know I have a spare pair of blue Manebi ones which I had been thinking of keeping as an indoor pair so you're on the right track. I think these grey ones may be a touch heavy for wearing around the house but they would look fab as alternative slippers.

      Delete
  5. You are a perfectionist nightmare Sue. Love how you pay so much attention to detail. I work on an 80/20 generally, if something is 80% ok, it will do as long as it's comfortable. They look great. The colour is good and they don't look like barges. Enjoy wearing them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit aren't I Donna? I am about 80/20 actually but it probably doesn't seem that way. Some things I buy out of pure love and those are usually the best buys regardless of what they are made of and how they are finished - we can forgive.

      Delete
  6. P.s. You have the neatest turn ups I have EVER seen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just when I thought I had all the shoes I needed Sue, you had to go and show me these!! I've just bought a grey coat and as I am a devil for being mix-y match-y it may be the colour that decides which ones I go for as they both look great to me, though I think I prefer the ASOS ones from the pics! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fab, Sue. Love this shade of grey and not a boat in sight! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! They grey is good - it's the perfect move-on shoe for me from the Birks this summer.

      Delete
    2. My H&M snakeskin effect slip ons are serving me well this autumn though it suddenly feels a lot chillier so I'm not sure how long I'll last in them!

      Delete
  9. I took a picture of the Next ones when I was in the other day and I clocked the fleecy lining too and really loved it. Tempted to go back and try them again as I'm finding my River Island black ones are a bit out of shape after being worn all summer long - the grey is just so wearable x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grey is very wearable and so comfortable too. Perfect as a nude shoe to any grey skinnies that you may have. Did that make sense?

      Delete
  10. Oooh, I like the grey felt shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I might need some grey skaters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't taken a plunge with skater shoes yes, though I have been contemplating since two seasons ago. I bought some bog standard regular converse instead. In dreaded white. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like I really need something in grey felt (can't afford marni sandals) and maybe these shoes are the answer. don't you just want to keep touching them? fleecy insoles though, would be suicide in summer.

    steph / absolutely-fuzzy.com

    ReplyDelete

Susie So So