Denim Jackets Revisited

Monday 11 August 2014


So following on from this post where I declared I would be getting to grips with a denim jacket this year, I bought two.

First in the bag was a little H&M one. I bought it at full price (£24.99) and then noticed that it was on special offer a week or so later online for around half the price. The sales girl I spoke to in store said the online stuff is a separate operation and they do their own thing hence the different pricing online to in store. Well they shouldn't because it's just plain annoying to find different pricing for the same product in the same shop and to make it only available online which means you then have to wait a month before it lands on your doorstep .... if you can be bothered. Ranty ramblings over.

 H&M denim jacket, Whistles Ailsa dress


Something which I didn't pay much attention to originally when I bought this jacket was the shorter back as I was so busy checking that the distressing was even and not patchy. The back of it is higher than the front which gives it a slightly cropped effect which I personally am not so keen on. The front is the perfect length, the back is not. I think that sometimes when jackets are cropped up the back, they emphasise your bottom - which is good if that is what you want but I spend a good amount of time hiding mine from the world and a cropped back would have served to emphasise the width of mine. Thank you AnnMarie for alerting me to this. But other than that, it was a good fit, colour and price. Drat.

The next jacket? The WIT denim jacket. I had to ring up and down the country for this one as it sold out after being featured on Laura's blog. I originally went to try it on in store in Leeds to be told that the last one had just been sold to to a fellow blogger Claire. Pipped at the post! So I tracked one down to a London store where I spoke to a charming lady where I asked if they had this denim jacket and in a size 8. She replied "oh yes we do - we have just the one left and it's in my hand". And I asked, is it reserved or anything? And she said "yes ... for you!" Now that's what I call a clever saleslady!



Well I have to say, I liked this one too. It has a slightly ombred effect with it being darker near the shoulders and fading down the body but ever so subtly. In some pictures I've seen, the effect looks quite stark but in real life the effect is much more gradual. Again - a lovely fit, a lovely colour but not so nice as a price as the H&M one. And there was no short back which was a huge bonus.


Me trying it on with different things and having a play


And I kept trying them both on and then I also tried on my old original one and do you know what? There wasn't actually that much in it with respect to the fit. I think I was being a little bit harsh on my poor old jacket. So I decided ....

..... to return both the new jackets and stick with the old. After all, I still don't think I really get on with them and if I've managed for 10 years not worrying about them so I think I can do another 10 years with the one I've got. It's a lot cheaper anyway ... polish denim halo!

------------------------------


Last Note :

  • The Jigsaw collarless denim jacket goes in and out of stock so keep checking back if you are interested or alternatively, ring round a few stores. They are super helpful at tracking down items.
  • I bought the Jigsaw jacket in a size 8 rather than a 10 though I am usually a size 10 in clothing. The 8 was a perfect fit across the shoulders and flattering through the body but I couldn't fasten it comfortably. I personally don't have a problem with this as it would have been unlikely for me to wear it fastened anyway and I find that some jackets when bought in the slightly larger size, lose their shape and make me look boxy. Sounds silly but it all makes perfect sense to me. 



26 comments

  1. a denim jacket goes well with everything!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does but not for me ... I just don't feel me in them :(

      Delete
  2. I think I'm a bit old for one to be honest although agree they go with everything and I love them on others. I have a denim gilet somewhere, might drag that out for a laugh! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen it as an age thing before but going by the comments, some people would say this is something to consider. I would have thought a denim gilet would have been even harder to work than a denim jacket - no?

      Delete
  3. My H&M jacket stills hangs there..... I love the view from the front, silly aren't we. Have you seen the Mango quilted one that is very Marant ..... maybe we would like that better as it's more like a normal jacket. Having said that I loved the Jigsaw one on you - but as you say if something you very rarely wear then is it worth £80?? Totally agree with you with a smaller size in a Jacket, they somehow make you look slimmer. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And mine has gone back in the wardrobe to resurface possibly next year or the year after that. To be honest, I've not felt that my wardrobe is somewhat lacking due to not having one so that's telling me a lot. And yes, £80 isn't the cheapest - a good Levis starts from £70 as it is but it is a nice jacket - I just knew I wasn't going to get my wear out of it. Some times you have to go with your own instincts.

      And yes, I saw the Mango one and my finger hovered over the button but I already have my River Island one which I hope to start wearing more when the weather cools down again. The Mango one is a good shape though - very versatile. Are you going for it?

      Delete
  4. They look gorgeous with your dresses - I really like to wear one with a dress to make it more casual. I actually prefer the jacket with a collar - it looks tidier - not that a denim jacket should be tidy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just not good with them. You won't believe it but I actually dragged out my denim jacket to meet you last year and left it in my car as it was warm enough not to need it. It get's an annual outing.

      There's a part of me that says a jacket with a collar on is the more classic way to go - they never date but the collarless design might start to stress me out after some time. Hence the fact it went back.

      Delete
  5. I didn't really know what was wrong with your own if I'm honest. I'm so on your page where denim jackets are concerned. Love them on others. Just not sure about on me. I always find an alternative in my wardrobe that I like more x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own jacket is fine. I was being hard on it but after comparing it with the other two, it was holding it's own. It will stay in the wardrobe and I will keep trying it an maybe at some point, it might work for me. But like you say, you either are or you aren't a denim jacket kind of girl.

      Delete
  6. I love the collarless one but think you are wise to stop over thinking it and go back to what you know. Now you can spend the money on something else!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too - I did feel a little bit more feminine in it but I knew I still wouldn't treat it as a jacket that I would automatically turn to as a throw on thing. So yep, it had to go back ... but I had to scratch the itch.

      Delete
  7. I'm on the fence - I like them on others but honestly, I think I'm a bit long in the tooth for one now. I think you were right to stick with the one you had

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one on the fence with denim jackets. Yes, I have to say, I prefer them on other people ... and I guess, I always have done.

      Delete
  8. I was stalking the Jigsaw one too after seeing it on WIT (although it was on the pricier side for a denim jacket!). I managed to snag a Mint Velvet denim biker jacket in the sale for 60% off & I like it as it's a bit different to the usual denim jacket style. Really love the green Whistles dress on you by the way...amazing colour! Oh, & I totally agree about H&M pricing (Gap do this too) so annoying & totally customer unfriendly! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh nice score on the Mint Velvet jacket then. And yes, if the detailing is a little different, it feels better. Because then it's not a denim jacket but a biker jacket! And the green Whistles dress - I love the colour on that too. There was the classic navy but I loved the brightness of the green and sometimes you just need a good old shot of colour in the summer sunshine.

      And yep H&M & Gap pricing - sooo annoying!

      Delete
  9. Cut the collar off yours Sue. I did and left the frayed edge just like the jigsaw one. I love it and have started wearing it again. Feels more "grown up" and less grungy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider it actually. I studied the Jigsaw one and where they had some binding on the neckline and I tucked it under to see how it would work but at the end of the day, I still couldn't bring myself to cut it. But you're right - the collarless design makes it less grungy doesn't it?

      Delete
  10. you're like the queen of hunting down things sue. i always think i need a new denim jacket too - to be fair i got bored with mine and lopped the sleeves off, so now i no longer have a denim jacket. on the bright side you've freed up some funds to stalk something else? :)

    steph / absolutely-fuzzy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like a little pit bull when I get it in my head about stuff - quite terrifying actually. Tenacious might be another word :o)

      And yes, more funds to fuel the wardrobe with things I will wear - bonus!

      Delete
  11. Looks lovely, Sue! I love a good denim jacket, especially with a dress. Difficult to wear with trousers - I'm always in jeans and denim on denim can end up being a bit 'B*Witched', haha :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - B*witched! I remember them Irish gals! Confession time - I've seen them at Party in the Park in Leeds some years back. Eeek!

      And yes - you're very right - I love my jeans too much and denim on denim this way is definitely overkill.

      Delete
  12. I really like both of them on you but obviously I favour the jigsaw style! I kept mine, I Iove the fit and I really like that it us collarless, I think it sets it apart. Saying that I've only worn it once - but I put that down to the miniature heat wave, in think it will be my autumn staple ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will come in to its own in the autumn - it has been too hot for jackets currently though I can tell the weather is starting to change. My problem is .. I always want what someone else has!

      Delete
  13. Good result Sue - I think you did the right thing. I have a collarless one from years ago M&S and it's a lovely change from the traditional fit. I bought a standard one then earlier this summer from Surfdome - it's a Vero Moda one and I quite like it but it's definitely on the more scruffy side of things. So I end up wearing the older one more. What are we like! I just need to get better at keeping receipts and observing return timelines! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have several ones Sue that are also donkeys years old & If I'm honest I do have a love hate relationship with them! They are so easy to just throw on at times but sometimes even though they are a classic they just feel a little dare I say dated!! They still come out every year & I wore one today but they aren't worn as much as they used to be thats for sure! I do like the collarless one but think you did good to send it back as its a lot for something that just doesn't sit right & will end up banished to the back of the wardrobe! Ax

    ReplyDelete

Susie So So