A Quick Trip to Anglesey

Monday 4 August 2014


Menai Strait


The only greeting I know in Welsh is "bore da". Which means "good morning". I've asked Welsh friends before what "hello" is in Welsh but there seems to be no definitive answer, just like there is no proper "hello" in Chinese. When people ask me what "hello" is in Chinese", I kind of shrug my shoulders and say "har-lo" in a Chinesey kind of way and they seem happy with that. What they're not happy with is when I say there is no real "hello" - that get's them all in a tizzy and then they need to argue it out with me. Big sigh.

Moving on ....

Our friends arranged for us to go for a surfing lesson in Rhosneigr in Wales. Or should I say, they arranged for the Grumps and Ben to go for a surfing lesson and put me on child watch for George. Not that I was complaining one jot. I can't swim for a start.

So it was a literal jump on the motorway on a Friday afternoon, to make an early dinner booking at Dylans restaurant in Menai Bridge, a popular restaurant with fab food and lovely terrace views. 

Photo Credit : The Grumps


Did you know you can use an empty mussel shell as "pincers" to pinch out mussels from their shells?


Views from the restaurant terrace.


Followed by a little evening walk to watch the world go by. 

The Grumps taking videos to for his little "movie" of our trip.


Me - happy and well fed.


And the next day at Rhosneigre ....








Tootsies!


And being unprepared for George's decision that he wanted to go in the sea (I thought I would be sitting in a nice cafe with him enjoying a cup of Earl Grey), I had to kit out the young boy.


Fat face shoes £7. Fat face shorts £14. Bucket & Spade £6. Total cost £27.

Little boy's joy. Priceless :o))



-------------------------------

Last Note :

  • Thank you for all the lovely recommendations from everyone who follow me on Instagram and realised I was in Wales heading towards Anglesey. Keep the suggestions coming, I've a few more visits planned that way!







21 comments

  1. Looks like you had a fab time in lovely Anglesey. Such a gorgeous spot! Great photos as always. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely. We have a friend who lives in Anglesey and we visit each year and now that I've thought about it, that's been a good 10 years now. It's a longish journey to get there but well worth it once we arrive.

      Delete
  2. Spent many school summer holidays here in my mum's best friends caravan - happy childhood memories of Anglesey for me Sue. Lovely pictures your boys are super cute! I must visit soon and go to Dylans, which looks rather nice..... I see you needed your spring/summer Parka too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by the comments on Instagram - Anglesey is a popular spot with a lot of people, you included. I think you will enjoy Dylans but book well in advance - we were lucky to get our reservation!

      And the parka was needed - that beach at Rhosneigre was super windy and blustery.

      Delete
  3. Lovely pictures Sue, the boys are gorgeous not sure about the Grumps lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharron - he just called you a cheeky beggar :o)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos and gorgeous boys. Awwwww!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. With a backdrop like Anglesey - the photos can't look too shabby!

      And those gorgeous boys? .... are really expensive. Ben wanted scallops and lobster for his meal. We let him have scallops but refused him the lobster - even I don't get lobster! pfft!

      Delete
  5. They did have fun but there was also a fair bit of complaining from the small one about the sand in his shoes! And how cold it was. Well if you will play in the sea - what do you expect??? :o)

    And yes, I'm a watcher too. Someone has to take the pictures and that's my excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning place!! Looks like a great time was had by all!! Another place to visit to add to my travel wish list....it looks idyllic!! Dylan's looks amazing for the food and the views xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was lovely - I fully intend to go back and try some of the other offerings on the menu. The mussels that Ben had looked fab and he declared them fantastic. He wasn't so keen on the scallops he started with but I helped him out with those ... after all they are my favourites!

      Delete
  7. How cute are your boys?! My kids love Mussels too! Love the pic of small youngling walking behind the surfer dudes! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he was such a happy little camper once he had his shorts, shoes, bucket and spade and was all kitted out. It was really windy though and the sun did go in for a bit which always makes it a little more challenging when you're being blown about on a beach. But I think we will be coming back.

      Delete
  8. Lovely pics Sue - looks like you had a great time! Your boys are very photogenic - bet they're shooting up! When do we get to see 'The Grumps' kite - or have I missed that post? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are growing so fast! I've just had to kit them out with new jeans and trousers as everything suddenly looked half mast on them. And with age ... comes attitude!

      Delete
  9. Loved the post, yes mussel shells make excellent tweezers, I love mussels, loved the pics x Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mussels too but resisted having them this time but I think they will be a definite for me next time - Ben's portion looked seriously good.

      Delete
  10. Great snaps Sue, your boys are gorgeous. Happy holidays! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie. It was a brief but happy getaway!

      Delete
  11. aw what a lovely set of photos sue. your boys are gorgeous! i use my mussel shells to scoop up the sauce though i have to say i've gotten my lip busted a few times before - shell edges can be sharp! beautiful place ;)

    steph / absolutely-fuzzy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - be careful with the sharp edges! I do that thing where I go through all the mussels pulling them all out first and then I can use a spoon to eat them with the sauce ... with no stop start interruptions. Shlurrp!

      Delete

Susie So So