Ladies in Red

Thursday 16 July 2015


Katherine Ormerod : London Bridge


See that lady up there in the red dress? That's Katherine Ormerod. Grazia Senior Fashion Features Editor. Guess what? I have the same dress! I spotted my dress on her Instagram feed about a year back and did a "Yuss!". Why? Because the dress is actually from a time pre Instagram and when we didn't know what the fashion editors were wearing every day and could tell us by a tag on their pic where something was from so we could dash out and buy it. This meant, I chose something fashion editor worthy without being prompted to. Amazing. Admit it, how often do we spot something on Instagram or on a blog and immediately go out and buy it. And guess what else? the dress has appeared not once, not twice, not three times but four times on her Insta feed. Yep I know how weird and stalkerish that sounds #needtogetalife 



Me : Back Garden (oh the glamour)


So, this is my old Miss Selfridge dress from a few years back. I actually wore it on the blog in 2012 and I don't think I've worn it since. That's not good is it? Every now and then, I drag it out of the wardrobe, try it on and then put it away again. I did nearly wear it last year but the Grumps thought I looked a little overdressed for KFC. When I put it on to take the picture, my eldest son looked at me kind of strange.


Me : What's the matter?

Ben : Nothing.

Me : Why are you looking at me like that?

Ben : Why are you dressed like that?

Me: Don't you like it?

Ben : It's okay

Me : I might wear it on the school run.

Ben : No.

Me : You said it was okay.

Ben : But don't wear it in the playground.

Me : Why?

Ben : You look kind of weird.

Me : You said it was okay.

Ben : Just don't wear it in the playground. I like it when you look normal. Sort of scruffy.

Me : Oh!


-------------------------------

Last Note :

  • When I do colour, I do colour.
  • Just think. In years to come, Ben is going to remember his mum fondly as a scruffy moo in a grey jumper and jeans.
  • Fashion people even have cool steps.




22 comments

  1. That dress is stunning and looks just as amazing on you in the back garden. Still chuckling at Ben's comments - nothing like the kids to keep you grounded, eh?! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my boys (big and small) are so used to dressed down me that when I dress up or a little different, it's a shock to their system. Just like when Ben found out that I used to have a job and that I wasn't always a mom.

      Delete
  2. Wow I never thought I would see you in red and it is a ......d r e s s !! Fab. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have dresses - I just prefer to wear jeans. They are just more practical for my lifestyle and it seems to be the norm for most SAHM. When I wear a dress, I invariably evoke a comment or something - people are so unused to me wearing anything else.

      Delete
  3. Totally you should wear it to school - red is your colour and this dress is beyond amazing on you Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not like you Fiona. Dresses are second nature to you. They are hard work for me!

      Delete
  4. Hahaha, children will tell you the truth without holding back, won't they :) The dress is absolutely lovely and you look gorgeous in red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do it without malice thankfully ... or thought. And thank you - I only pulled the dress out for the Instagram #mystylephotochallenge or it probably wouldn't have seen the light of day this year either!

      Delete
  5. Just gorgeous - isn't it great to rediscover things from the past - I need to be more careful with my ebaying! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one slips through the Ebay net every time though I have been thinking of getting rid. I never wear it!

      Delete
  6. I have this dress too! :) You've encouraged me to dig it out and wear it again. It's beautiful on you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another dress that we both have - you also have the black Other Stories one from last year if I remember correctly. Yes dig it out - I can imagine it's very perfect for you!

      Delete
  7. Looks better on you than the fashion editor! Beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I think Katherine does wear it rather well actually - I keep looking to see how she styles it so I can get some ideas. Luckily, my Swedish Hasbeens which are a recent investment seem to go rather well as I've always struggled to find the right footwear to go with it. Maybe I might wear it in the playground after all!

      Delete
  8. Oh my, I love this dress! You look stunning in it (and love the shoes too!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that the spot that I've chosen in the garden seems to cast a flattering light at the right time of day. A bit like a good filter on Instagram ;o)

      Delete
  9. Fantastic! I do love a red dress, have several myself and am always drawn to red dresses. Am on a red dress buying ban in fact.
    You look gorgeous, red really suits you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every now and then I have a bit of a freak out and buy something colourful - I do like colourful things but I find my neutrals are much easier to work day to day. And you do colour and pattern really well - I wish I had more confidence.

      Delete
  10. I think you COULD theoretically wear it to the playground with sneakers, but it's probably best to spare Ben the agony of "mum looking weird" among his peers.

    You look great though and I wish I had a few more ultra feminine pieces like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about dressing it down with the footwear but honestly, I look quite stumpy when I do. I really need the heels to balance my proportions. I used to have a lot more feminine pieces and I probably still have a few stashed away - I just have no call for them anymore and I have a feeling some of them are facing eviction soon. Sad times, sad times.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous dress! 💃🏻 (lady in red dress emoji!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! Kids...who'd have em?!! You look amazing in that dress & red is an amazing colour on you Sue! x

    ReplyDelete

Susie So So