Right, last October I wrote a post about bringing my wardrobe up to date (here). Remember the disclaimers I added to the end about certain potential additions/non additions to the wardrobe? Shall I remind you?
- Faux Fur. They don't really suit me or I've just not found the one. (Disclaimer - I have the right to retract that statement should you see me in a faux fur jacket/coat).
- Culottes. I don't know how to wear them when it gets really cold but I'm not sure they are really me. I know knee high boots are one way round how to wear them and can look fab but realistically speaking - I don't have the energy to go there. (Disclaimer - I have the right to retract that statement should you see me in a pair of culottes).
- Pleather/leather jeggings/pants. I've not found a flattering pair yet. (Disclaimer - I have the right to retract that statement should you see me in a pair of pleather/leather jeggings/pants).
- Pointy Boots. The ones I like are too expensive. So I'll leave that one alone. (Disclaimer - I have the right to retract that statement should you see me in a pair of pointy boots because I caved).
- Statement Coat. Not bothered. (Disclaimer - I have the right to retract that statement when it turns up)
So let's see what happened shall we?
- Faux Fur.
Disclaimer retracted. Okay, I said I was going to make do with my faux fur snood and my pom pom keyring but then the black Matalan fur coat came along and my whole furry world was complete and whole. Basically I just needed to find a fur coat that wasn't going to wear me and scream fashion victim and Sasquatch in the same breath and it took a little bit of doing and a few games of seek and ye shall find. But I found.
Matalan Fur Coat
Disclaimer retraction not required. Ah ... I kept my sensible head on with this one. I actually had a pair of culottes in my possession and they didn't look bad, they looked pretty good actually. They were the M&S ones which Fran and Joanna had and I bagged myself a pair in the short fitting. They looked the bees knees when worn with a black polo neck and tan leather knee high boots that I had. But ... I couldn't be bothered to keep them as I knew I would only wear that one look and to be honest, I didn't even think I would even get myself out of the door in them. So I returned them. Pat on the back for me. But ... I have a secret hankering for some denim ones for the summer. Yes sirreee!
- Pleather/leather jeggings/pants.
Disclaimer retracted. Oh how I tried! Oh how I cried! I tried a goodly amount of pairs on. I tried all the skinny versions on that I could find in various stores and I can honestly say, they were not a good look for me. Wrinkly knees at the front and unsightly ripples down the back. You know when people say you should never look (around the) back? I should never have looked back! I also thought the looser peg styles might work and I got so far as to bringing a pair home and prancing about a little in them and realised that (1) they felt funny on and (2) I didn't feel comfortable or confident wearing them. So they went back too. And then I found the ones which had ponte jersey on the back. And that's when it hit me - this was what I needed as the jersey just helped to hug in the right places and I could still bend my knees and I was comfy ... like wearing a pair of jersey leggings which is what they are literally but with a bit of pleather at the front. And they were only £5.
H&M Pleather Leggings
- Pointy Boots.
Disclaimer retraction not required. I'm living in my Stans when the weather is dry. And I'm doing that by sticking some fleecy insoles in them to take the edge of the cold. My other shoes are virtually redundant. I am also trying my best to wear the ankle boots that I have but mainly I am defaulting to warm comfy footwear aka Uggs. There was basically no justification for another pair of boots (I can't believe I just typed that!). And of course I will kick myself next winter when pointy boots are still a-go a-go. But I held fast and I may not be the most fashionable but I found I didn't really need them after all. How good am I? Besides we're nearly in March ... and the toes will be out soon.
- Statement Coat.
Disclaimer retraction not required. I have no statement coat. I have an understatement coat though. No pink, no orange, no baby blue, no red. Just an understated khaki swamp coloured coat. Because that's the kind of gal I am :)
Topshop Slouchy Coat
Summary - Only 2 out of a potential 5 disclaimers exercised. Not bad, not bad at all.