Lunch in Leeds!

Thursday 27 June 2013


Blogging is a funny old business isn't it? For some people they use it as means to keep in touch with loved ones from afar, for some it's been a lifeline and therapy to be able to voice fears and find support, for some people it's their business and livelihood and for me? Well it's become an opportunity to link up with lovely likeminded people I would never have had the opportunity to meet let alone know they exist. Like Joanna from Poppys Style for instance.

I've met Joanna before in February when there was a gaggle of us all meeting up in London. It was fun and manic but I only managed to spend about 10 minutes chatting to her and I felt I'd missed out somewhere along the way. Then she said she was in the country again and had a day free. What's a girl to do but suggest a get together?

And we agreed to meet in Leeds - yay! And with kids in tow - oh! 

Anyway, a couple of snaps of what I wore before I headed out the door .....


Aubin & Wills Annaside Top, Gap Khaki Mini Skimmers, Primark Sandals, APC Bag


This is my first pic of Joanna outside the agreed meeting place - Harvey Nicks! Where else???

Mrs Poppy (aka Joanna), Ms Poppy and Master Hugh.


And this is what George and I were doing before they arrived. Taking pics of feet on the street!

Me and Master Grinning George Monster


And before that, we had "The Chat". The chat where George was bribed with the possibility of two Kinder eggs if he was on his best behaviour today. And I was rather amused to find that Joanna had had the same chat with her two though what bribes she used, I'm not sure. I was also told by Joanna that in America, Kinder eggs are outlawed but you can have a gun. I'm trying (very hard) to see the sense and logic in that.

We decided to decamp in Giraffe - it looked like somewhere which could cope with our motley crew and we had the most accommodating lovely waitress called Rosie (Hi Rosie, if you're reading! Please get started on writing your blog!) who really looked after us even though we trashed/destroyed/bombsited the place by the time we left (sorry ... really sorry). The children were really well behaved or as well behaved as could be expected for three caged animals for three hours. Enough time for that bottle of white wine to be drunk which Joanna insisted we have.

Little Angels. Ha ha ha.


We chatted and chatted about everything we possibly could in the time we had. We did a lot kid cajoling, we let them eat pancakes, chips and ice cream and gave them everything they could want so we could drink our wine "peacefully". In the same boat - you'd do the same right?

Picture Credit : Poppy

Oh yes, talking about the wine. I was only going to have the one as I'm a bit of a lightweight but Joanna was terribly persuasive about how it's cheaper by the bottle. So one phone call later to a rather bemused Grumps meant that he was driving the car home for me (thank you and I love you!).

Anyway, the day ended far too quickly for us both and not quickly enough for the small people. This is George and Hugh doing the great escape!

You go this way .....

I'll go this way .....

Gotcha!


Thank you Joanna for coming across the Pennines to come and see me. I know you made it back in one piece. And do you know what I saw on the way home on the train as I stared blearily out -  a field of poppies in the distance! What a lovely way to end the day!

Honest - it's a field of poppies!

So when's the next date??








31 comments

  1. I love that you two met up with kids in two, it so lovely to see them playing together, just shoes it not all zara and handbags this blogging lark!! Looking gorgeous Sue and so nice to see some face pics! Can't believe those sandals are primark, they are stunning! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough Trea, we barely touched on clothes. It was about us and life and kids and even flower arranging - we both love flowers and like to think we can knock up a pretty arrangement or two. But that's what so nice - you already know something about each other, you have some common ground and yes the kiddies definitely help you bond re mommy duties. Next time, we arrange a meet, you'll definitely have to come!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like the two of you had a great time, and how lovely that you were able to bring the kids along too. Probably one of the best things about blogging for me has been the wonderful people that I've met, so I like you would never miss an opportunity to catch up with them! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, it was nice that the kids came along because we got to see how much we had in common i.e. both gave the kiddie best behaviour talk first incase our respective children played up big time and how we handled them i.e very similarly (an extra scoop of ice cream to ease the pain of listening to the grown ups). I think you've been able to meet some really interesting people so far as well - it's worth it isn't it?

      Delete
  3. As soon as possible Mrs!! I love the photos you captured - and how lovely to see all those poppies! Hey and anyone reading this - there was no persuading over the wine - she drinks a bottle every lunchtime I swear. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shh! People might actually believe I do drink a bottle a lunchtime reading this post. Honestly, I am such a lightweight and so easily led. I love the photos too - a lovely reminder of a fab day. Let me know when you're back in town!

      Delete
  4. What a great day you both had - hopefully a few more of us can join you next time
    How freaky the field of poppies on the way home!!!

    Fiona
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully indeed! We will have to get something sorted out or at least set a date and start saving up. And hopefully I won't have to catch an early train home like I did when I was in London last time.

      Yup - freaky - it woke me up from my stupor believe me!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great lunch date and I love your outfit, Sue. Great trousers (might have to make my way to Gap to check out their trousers) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh - I love these little mini skimmer pants from Gap. They have them in a lovely dusky black - bordering on charcoal grey which I'm very tempted by too. I tried them on and I thought "yussss" which is actually a good thing. They are quite slimming too. I tried two pairs on though in the same size and one pair was looser than the other so you might need to take more than one pair in. And yes, I went for the looser pair. Comfort and eating and all that!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely time you all had - and you got to wear sandals! How cute are the kids? I think your George is so cuddly and cheeky looking! I really love your Gap chinos, the fit looks great, very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the weather was just lovely. Warm but not too warm but no jacket required. And yes, the toes got an airing yet again. You should try these mini skimmer pants - they're so comfy. I'm actually giving up jean wearing for the time being for these pants as I love them.

      Delete
    2. Alas, sold out in my size :-(

      Delete
  7. Looks like ye had a fabulous day out....gorgeous photos!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - it was a fab day. I want to do it all again! Hope you have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  8. Looks so fun! Giraffe are great with kids-they keep smiling through the carnage! Love the sandals-I much prefer wedges to heels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been till Wednesday but I now know they are brill with kids. I agree about wedges being much easier to wear than heels though. These Primark ones are my super comfy ones.

      Delete
  9. A great read! Just love getting together with friends and making new ones. People are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :o) Yes, I have definitely made some lovely new friends in the last year - just when you think you're most unlikely to as well. Blogging definitely opens new friendship doors.

      Delete
  10. These are fab photos - you both look stunning. Glad you had such a good day :-)
    PS LOVE those Primark sandals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna. Hopefully, we can all sort out another get together and you can join us next time! Would love to meet up!

      Delete
  11. Awww, what a lovely post. Sooo wish that we all could have been there! love the photos of the kiddies and glad to hear that I'm not the only mum who operates a strict Bribe Always policy when I need some peace & quiet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most mums have a Bribe policy but on the whole we keep quiet about it. Don't we?

      Delete
  12. Lots of fun!
    I love these Gap trousers, would never think of buying from Gap! And can't believe the sandals are Primark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comfiest sandals I have actually and I can't believe they're not flat.

      And the Gap trousers - go get some. They are fab.

      Delete
  13. I've only just begun to catch up on blog reading. Looks like you and Joanna had lots of fun (especially after a drink or two). Yes, you're right. It was pretty manic at The Mews previously. One on one (err....not counting the 3 being bribed with everything under the sun) gives you a chance to properly catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really lovely day. And totally good fun. Just wish I'd had more time with everyone in February as well. Next time!

      Delete
  14. Joanna seems sooo nice - I imagine it was a really lovely lunch. If you come to London and fancy a coffee with another blogger, let me know - would love to say hello in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm popping down to London over the summer some time so you never know I might be dropping you a line!

      Delete

Susie So So