Chavtastic

Thursday 29 November 2012

So what's so chavtastic about this little cream cotton jumper? It looks kind of unassuming and pleasant enough but not chavvy. It's easy to wear, easy to wash, easy price (£12) and has a little touch of the Guernsey styling about it. It's 100% cotton, a workhorse type of jumper and it's also what I would deem a bit Margaret Howellesque. So what's so chavtastic about it?

Well nothing really. But it does go really well with this Burberry cashmere scarf. Now that's chavtastic.



Next Cocoon Coat (A/W 2011)

Hear me out whilst you're shaking your heads and mentally thinking "nooooo - what fashion planet did you fall off Sue? I thought you had a little bit of fashion wisdom about you but here you are singing the praises of a chav scarf!" I'd like to say in my defence - I really like this scarf. I'm not sure how much of it is to do with the Burberry check - not that much I think but the colours are sharp and good and the cashmere is beyond soft. This is baby fluff bunny soft. Actually, that should be baby fluff goat soft. For this reason alone - it could have bright purple and yellow flowers on it and I would love it. Actually, I lie, if it had bright purple and yellow flowers, I would not love it at all but I can live with a Burberry chavtastic check. 


Go on, tell me - do I look chav in this?

I "procured" this scarf many years ago. It was offered to me by an ex boyfriend who wasn't particularly enamoured with it. I was cold and it was soft. I wrapped it around my neck, revelled in its softness and took it home. Though I left the boyfriend, I kept the scarf. You would have done the same right? I thought so :o)

I have to say, that this is not a particularly big scarf and doesn't lend itself well for doing that manic wrapping thing that most of us women are used to doing with our big oversized scarves. This one is a bit of a mean size which is surprising given that this is a men's scarf. Why are men's scarves smaller and shorter than womens? Incase they wee on the ends when they lean over to do their number ones? Anyway, the point I'm making is that I tend to pin this scarf due to its lack of length. Ooh err. Go back up and play spot the kilt pin.

Anyway, chavs are really a British thing - they only exist here. You don't get this look anywhere else in the world that I know of. 

Photo Credit : DailyMail.com
The now famous picture of Daniella Westbrook in full Burberry regalia.

Be thankful.

But Christopher Bailey worked his little socks off to bring the brand round with great success, don't you think?


Photo Credit : DailyMail.com
Emma's coat needs an iron? Yes?

Try not to think of Burberry in the mid 2000's - I like to think those were the wilderness years but if you think of Burberry post 2009 when CB took over as creative director, then you won't be so disgusted with me.


-----------------------------------------------------------

Last note :

  • Christopher Bailey was born in Yorkshire. Yay! That's it. And he's good at his job.

  • For anybody unfamiliar with the term Chav, this is the Oxford English definition : 
          Noun. British, informal, derogatory. 
          A young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behaviour and the wearing of (real or 
          imitation) designer clothes.

  • No offence intended to anyone who likes Burberry or chav style. I have a scarf - what more can I say?



37 comments

  1. Haha that picture of Daniella Westbrook always make me laugh! But I like the scarf, I think it is nice in small touches. And Burberry has definitely re-gained its cool factor over recent years. I really like the Matalan jumper and the coat, looks so cosy. Love the boots too xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a classic - I'm sure she has regretted that whole ensemble since the day she wore it. Burberry is now so cool - I haven't a cat in hells chance of affording any.

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh I forgot how bad that photo was (Daniella obvs not u) loving ur look in all it's chavtastic glory - only joking your not one bit chav ;) have always loved the Burberry check esp with a Burberry mac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I dig up the best pictures - I have a precocious memory for stuff like this. At least I didn't post the one of Victoria Beckham in a Burberry bikini and headband.

      Delete
  3. I think it's a nice scarf. It's a shame what happened to Burberry but good to see it coming back to life again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely - that Christopher Bailey certainly worked some magic there.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the classic Burberry check, no amount of knock off chavvy baseball caps can put me off... great that it was a freebie too, if only all relationships would end with such a good consolation prize! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that something good should come out of all relationships - in this case, it was a Burberry scarf :o)

      Delete
  5. You're wearing it just like Emma in that last (unironed) photo. So it's not chavvy at all…super stylish. Love the addition of the grey with the coat and boots. Love the story of how you got to own it in the first instance…does Grumps know this? Is he ok with you wrapping the memories of an ex around your neck every day??! :) Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, you're a little stirrer Ms Avril!

      Delete
  6. I got exactly the same scarf about 10yrs ago ( I got to H Nics so early, I was that desperate, it wasn't even open) . I loved it. The colours worked with everything in my wardrobe. Then it was deemed chavtastic and I eventually got rid. I have secretly mourned it ever since.boo hoo........I feel myself welling up even now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a small Burberry handbag round about the mid 2000's and I couldn't stand the associations either and ended up selling mine. I don't mourn mine though. I still have a really old tatty one from the 80's which my sister gave me which is tired and battered. I remember taking it on a school trip when I was 16 so it's certainly had a good run. It's 'resting' at the moment.

      Delete
  7. Love the jumper AND the scarf and the fact that it is a trophy gained off an ex...good going!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did well didn't I? It's one way of being thrifty!

      Delete
  8. wow really love that jumper sue - little details like that are the best! i'm obsessed with the contrast knit stitches (is that what they call it?) it's just beautiful!

    love the scarf too - what a classic - have plenty of stuff from my ex boyfriends that i still keep too, haha.

    steph / absolutely-fuzzy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it when I walked past the little jumper and the price made it unbeatable for 100% cotton. It does have nice detailing doesn't it - it just takes it a little bit out of the plain and ordinary.

      It wasn't intentional - keeping the scarf - just something I forgot to give back :o)

      Delete
  9. Hilarious. I always seemed to end up with exes jackets, none of which have stood the test of time. I think the scarf looks cool with the jumper (love the jumper btw) ... very Emma Watson; how bad can that be?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - the jackets didn't last just like the exes then. Shame you don't have a Matalan near you - it would be just a perfect little jumper for everyday especially at that price. And despite my love for grey, I'm rather partial to a bit of cream and ivory as well - just to lighten the mood.

      Delete
  10. Ha ha! You are too elegant to be chavtastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! As a non-brit this post totally baffled me and cracked me up. That photo of the head-to-toe! So impressive! I wouldn't worry too much though, I don't think you're on the same path. Though I'm not a huge fan of anything so instantly recognizable (that basically amounts to wearing a logo, no?), I'd make an exception for stolen cashmere any day. Sorry, not stolen, heard-earned. And yes, in my mind, Christopher Bailey is kind of a genius, what a brand turn-around! I die for all those coats every season.

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I put a chav definition at the bottom as I thought, it's such a British thing - people abroad would have no idea what I was on about. The cashmere is too gorgeous actually - it's the first time I've understood why people pay the money they do for some things. This feels luxurious. And the coats are gorgeous - if only I could afford one ... and was tall enough to wear one.

      Delete
  12. That's the first time I've seen the Westbrook photo!
    I love the scarf on you! The other check is nice too and your jumper is great - fab find and your coat too - how many of those do you have - they are just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a lot of coats - the wardrobe is groaning but I think you can never have enough coats and I still have my eye on a few more I am still missing a classic camel coat and a navy pea coat. I will keep my eyes peeled.

      Delete
  13. Love the Burberry scarf and the way you have styled it with the pin and your coat, all very Isabel Marant Sue. .. Fabulous !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annmarie - thank you for stopping past. It's just a different way to wear a scarf - pinned. And overcomes the problem of it being a little on the short side. I see you also have the Zara biker like me - hope to see you wearing that in a future post :o)

      Delete
  14. Nothing wrong with that scarf at all, its about overload when it comes to Chav's! Shame the yorkshire lad who took over the british heritage company couldn't do anyting to stop the closure of its UK manufacturing plant x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really - I didn't know about that bit - that's such a shame. Is it the one in Castleford - we used to have a Burberry outlet shop just down the road where they produced Burberry clothes - I haven't been for many years but I popped past on the odd occasion to see what they had in. The outlet wasn't luxurious to say the least - almost a room at the back of the factory. Might have to google it.

      Delete
  15. LOL! It's far from chavtastic. I love the whole outfit. £12?!!! That's ridiculously cheap. That coat! Tell me where you got it. It's over sized but not overwhelming on a petite frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err in the Next sale - £23. Petite range. Last one. By the way, I want to come to the next Isabel Marant sample sale - I'll get saving ;o) I'm going to have a Marant piece by hook or by crook.

      Delete
  16. CHAV - Council House And Violent - no? Sorry me being very un-pc:) I can certainly get away with more Burberry plaid here but I don't think I can ever delete it's association in my mind - makes me think of Chelsea fans too...and I'm a QPR fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a bit of a uniform for the football fanatics wasn't it. But it's a look best forgotten. Let's roll with the current and then I can get some more mileage with the scarf.

      Delete
  17. Definitely not chavvy, that cream slouchy jumper is gorgeous, very Cameron Diaz in The Holiday, I can't believe it's from Matalan...great find!
    Jane
    x
    http://sickofmystylerut.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the movie but hadn't taken too much note of Cameron Diaz's wardrobe in the film so of course I had to google and I see what you mean, she does wear a lot of cream in that film but that's not a bad thing at all. I like the fact that the jumper has three quarter sleeves - good for those petite gals like us who have short arms.

      Delete
  18. Thank you Adele - I will pop over and have a look at your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You could never, ever be chavtastic. Not even if you tried. You're far too elegant.

    I love your coats. It's not overwhelming you but still has a nice slouchy shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay. I was just wondering what kind of coats you wear in the winter. I bet you have a Maxmara camel beauty stashed away somewhere!

      Delete

Susie So So